3.4
Coverage Area
Style and Design

A friend recommended Republic Wireless to me when I was shopping for a different phone service after the mess I encountered with Straight Talk.

I still have Republic Wireless, but I want to warn you about some gotchas.

Republic Wireless has some great plans. Their base is only $10/mo for service, and they have many choices on data plans. Best is that if you don't use all your data, you are refunded on your next monthly bill. For instance, I have their 1Gb data plan and my bill is $25/mo. I never use it all so I have never paid over $20 for my service.

But, there's always a but.

To minimize your data usage, any time you have access to an open WiFi, the phone will use it for everything including your phone calls. The calls actually go over the internet and you'd better hope you have good WiFi or your calls are horrible. My laptop is not effected by my WiFi's micro-second disconnects, but my phone calls are. You'll get broken up calls, not dropped, just losing parts of words. AND you get to hear other conversations in the background, not well enough to know what they're saying, but they're there, making talking difficult

Today I wanted to speak with my sister without problems, so I turned off the WiFi connection and let it go to Sprint cell service. Clear call, no broken words, no background conversation, just like anyone would want when talking on their phone.

I may have to up my data plan so I can stay off the wireless when I want to take or make calls.

This person wrote the review because of "can't really blame republic wireless because it could all be centurylink dsl problems" of republic wireless cell phone service from Republic Wireless. Reviewer claimed that he or she wants Republic Wireless to read this review and look into the issue (if any).

We collected other reviews about products and/or services offered by Republic Wireless for you to read. This information may help you with your purchase decision.

Comments

Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States #1196131

Yeah, that's the same answer I got from the auto-responder from RW. Much easier to pass customers off to other customers to find help than to have company customer service respond.

Make the customer do the digging instead of training inside staff.

My service is just as crappy wherever I've used it whether wifi or cell. I just love getting dumped in the middle of a phone call and getting the message "Republic Wireless telephony has stopped." That happens more on cell than on wifi.

Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States #1196128

I have contacted their customer service and they have yet to respond. I am getting more and more unhappy with the phone and Republic Wireless.

Marietta, Georgia, United States #1183925

I've had the 1st gen moto x from RW since Nov 2013 in Atlanta metro. Still very happy with the service and the phone.

I worked from home for nearly two years using the phone for all business related calls -- it worked very well. Wi-Fi call quality was not as good as cell based calls but still very good. Suggestions from other RW users included calling from public wifi spots such as Starbucks to see if issue is with the phone or your home internet. Try community.republicwireless.com in browser.

Many very helpful users there. Good luck.